Please note that the patch file on this page is only for use with registered copies of
HLM 5.04 for Windows. It cannot be applied to the rental or student editions, or used on any other platform.
This patch should be applied to any full edition of HLM 5.04 regardless of purchase date.
Users who applied the 5.05 patch that was available from January 22 to 29 reported a series
of errors. Depending on the operating system, some users could not update all necessary files. In addition, crashes
of the two-level plausible value routine were reported, along with problems with some HGLM models. Anyone who has applied that patch does not have to reinstall the software; they can simply apply
the patch below. The third-party software used for importing data into HLM (DBMS/Copy)
has been updated in this newest patch and all users are urged to take advantage of this upgrade.
Changes made to HLM 5.04 (released June 2001) in this service release (January 2003) are
- A problem reading SPSS (version 9 and higher) files has been corrected. Problems with
the use of weights from SPSS files are also fixed.
- Similarly, problems reading SYSTAT (version 8 and later) files have been fixed.
- An error message has been added to prevent use of the pair-wise deletion option in
the case of nonlinear (HGLM) models.
- Crashing of the V-known analysis when some of the additional features were requested
has been fixed.
- Specification of different missing values for variables in ASCII data files were reported
to cause problems. The source of the problem was identified and corrected.
- The multiple imputation procedure crashed during the last iteration of an HGLM analysis.
This problem has been fixed.
- Minor corrections were also made to the multinomial, ordinal, plausible value and latent
variable regression procedures. In all cases, problems reported caused crashes, and output obtained previously
using these procedures should not be affected by the changes made in 5.05.
The only problem we are currently aware of is with the import of data using DBMS/Copy
(details given below). We expect to address this issue in a future service release.
- The currently distributed version of DBMS/Copy is unable to read database spreadsheet
files (for example ACCESS, EXCEL) multiple times when making the SSM files. Users importing these data should
prepare separate input files for each level of the hierarchy. When using SPSS, SAS, etc a single data file
may be used as input at multiple levels.
- In addition, the importation of SPSS portable (*.por) files with DBMS/Copy is currently
not possible. Users are advised to use another SPSS file format for data files.
If you have not yet upgraded to HLM 5.04, please
do so prior to downloading and applying the patch from this page.
We suggest that you close all open applications prior to downloading and applying the